Architectural Intern Position
At Virginia A&E, our small office environment creates a welcoming atmosphere that encourages and supports professional growth while providing the highest quality services to our clients and community.
When you join our team, you’ll have the opportunity to build on what you’ve learned, while making meaningful contributions in a real work environment. In this position, the team member is responsible for assisting in the preparation of architectural documents, and presentation materials, as well as performing other tasks under the direction and supervision of a Project Architect or Project Manager. While executing these tasks, you will gain technical knowledge in the design and construction of projects, be expected to handle more complexity over time; and develop the ability to organize, problem solve, and communicate to colleagues and the community.
As a full service Architectural and Engineering firm specializing in designs for governmental, commercial, educational, industrial, and institutional clients throughout Virginia, we are seeking an energetic and motivated candidate to join our dynamic team and be involved in all aspects of design projects. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on every phase of a project, from initial client contact to contract administration.
By utilizing your technical skills and creativity you’ll enjoy being challenged to go beyond immediate tasks as you support the design, selection, coordination and detailing of architectural materials and systems. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to assist with the creation of designs for new structures and redesign of existing structures as you collaborate with our team of dedicated professionals.
- Provide support to in-office Architects
- Collaborate as an active member of the project team and develop an understanding of the work of other disciplines within the office
- Participate in client and internal meetings and reviews with various governing agencies
- Prepare drawings and contract documents using AutoCAD or Revit
- Research and identify products, materials, and finishes
- Research codes and other standards
- Assist in the preparation of studies and reports
- Develop diagrams/layouts during schematic design, demonstrating ability to arrange a unified design
- Join team members on occasion for the onsite observation of work during construction to monitor compliance with plans
- Assist in proper documentation of project files
- Current/Recent/Pending Graduate with MArch or BArch from a NAAB accredited program with the intent to obtain NCARB registration (licensure)
- Prior internship preferred
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat
- Interest in pursuing LEED accreditation
- Communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently or as part of a multi-disciplined team
- Strong organizational & analytical skills
- Self-motivated and eager learner, aptitude to grow and develop within the field
- Possess a strong work ethic
Benefits & Compensation:
Virginia A&E offers competitive compensation, as well as a generous benefits package including:
- Retirement Savings Plan – company match up to 3%
- Company paid Term Life Insurance, AD&D, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Half-day workdays each Friday
- 10 – 12 paid holidays, including a Christmas Holiday break
- Generous accrued Personal Leave